Monday, May 21, 2012

Illustration Friday: Sight

Babe the Blue Ox, micron pen & watercolor on Rives BFK, 6 x 6", 2012.
I've been feeling super unproductive lately. I've had too many false starts on drawings and projects, so I took a break and did this week's Illustration Friday.

This week's theme is "sight", and for some reason the first thing I thought of was Babe the Blue Ox, Paul Bunyan's pet. When winter came Babe was depressed, and couldn't find enough to eat. Paul Bunyan got him custom-made green glasses; everything he saw was green, and Babe ate green snow. It really doesn't make much sense... but the image of a giant blue ox wearing green glasses makes for a fun drawing.

On an unrelated note, I'd like to ask everyone from the US, and especially Pennsylvania, to sign this petition:
http://www.change.org/petitions/save-upper-darby-arts-www-saveudarts-org
The school district that educated me is getting rid of all of its art, gym, music, and library teachers in the elementary schools, and foreign language and technology in the middle schools. If you think that these subjects are an important part of public education, please sign! Thank you! You are awesome!

10 comments:

  1. This is awesome. Now I want a pet ox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bull! Beautiful pen lines. I just love their big silly noses. And he is terribly stunning in the blue and green, and in shades. I never heard that story about the green glasses!

    Ugh that's terrible news about your art programs! I was just listening to an old This American Life, and one of the segments was about how studies have shown that arts programs help at-risk youths more than any other kind of children's program. It's so depressing hearing about more education budgets being slashed every day. Once education is all privatized there will be far, far less reason to think this country is great. /rant over. (I signed [though I live in Illinois]. Now I have to go find pictures of cute puppies or something.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for signing! I could rant for ages about it too, so I understand.

      Delete
  3. The story certainly brings a fun drawing, this is lovely!
    That's bad news, about them getting rid of all these programs! I hope the petition will help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wonderful, expressive lines!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the drawing.
    signed the petition ...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the line work ♥
    This ox have beautiful eyelashes :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I wish there was a like button...I'm too lazy to comment..but I had to..love your style.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...