Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Sketchbook Project: Selkies

Selkies, pen, watercolor & acrylic ink on watercolor paper, 7 x 10", 2011.
I've been on vacation in Sea Isle, and worked on some Sketchbook Project pages there. Since my theme is "Uncharted Waters" drawing there seemed appropriate. I continued with mythological creatures and drew selkies.

Selkies are seals that can transform into people by shedding their skin. They are found in Irish and Scottish stories, and they are usual depicted as beautiful women. I can definitely say that I wouldn't mind being a seal sometimes... especially this one.


7 comments:

  1. All bodies of water should contain selkies. With accents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In regards to the video I know this is the most obvious comment ever being that the animal is called an “elephant seal” but that thing is HUGE!!!

    Anyway – Selkies are so cool! I remember reading a book when I was little called “Seal Child.” This is a great idea & an awesome drawing for your sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jay: The accents are definitely necessary!

    Kelly: I LOVE that video! That elephant seal is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah - I would like to post your selkies sketch on my blog

    http://sketchesandjottings.wordpress.com

    I'd like to make it one of the daily inspirations for The Sketchbook Project. It's beautiful. Can you let me know? Thanks.


    J Walters (boomerontario)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sarah - I'm posting it tomorrow (thursday) Love your work

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...