Sunday, July 24, 2011

Illustration Friday: Perennial

Jackalope & Cactus study. graphite, watercolor & ink on watercolor paper, 8 x 9", 2011.
This week's theme for Illustration Friday was perennial. I've drawn (and am still drawing) so many flowers this year, so I went for a different sort of perennial. I think cacti are really interesting. Why did I draw a jackalope? I know it has nothing to do with the theme; I'm using jackalopes for something in the future, and I thought this was a good opportunity to practice.

Last week I used a circle frame for my drawing, and liked how it turned out, so I decided to try an oval frame this time. The photography came out a little better too, but still not as well as I would have liked... I guess I have to keep practicing!

10 comments:

  1. Great, Sarah! The colors are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really lovely cacti! I love the spines and the sketchy white bands on his antlers - just right. Did you use acrylic ink?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Franklin, Cliff, Jack, and EmilyJuly 24, 2011 at 11:16 AM

    I want all your bunny illustrations!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone!

    Cally: I did use white acrylic ink. I treated myself to a whole ink set last month, and I'm addicted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks Easter-y, with pastels and rabbity critter.
    Loved your note on my blog about the worm rings and spitting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like an Easter piece... kind of. Love the soft colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah draws things
    and the things that draws Sarah, I really like!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your different take on this! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a surprise! Lovely colors, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your art is amazing! I LOVE your sketchbook pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...