Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Sketchbook Project: Uncegila

Unceglia, pen, watercolor & acrylic ink on watercolor paper, 7 x 10", 2011.


 I'm still working on my "Uncharted Waters" sketchbook for the Sketchbook Project.

This time I picked a creature from Native American mythology. Uncegila was a giant river snake who polluted water (notice my little fish skeletons in the background). She was killed by twin brothers, and when she died it created the badlands in Nebraska.

I love snakes and reptiles... they always seem to get a bad rap in mythology and world religions!

6 comments:

  1. I like it. The red needles make it look all electro-stingy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Zack! I don't think anyone else likes snakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reptiles seem to have had a better mythological reputation in the East...poor spiders seem to get a rough deal everywhere. (Spelling correction: unceGILA)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh! I fixed it; thanks! That makes more sense...like Gila Monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I've been following your blog for a little while. I really enjoy your illustration style -- very inventive and energetic.

    Your approach to the sketchbook project is great. I like how cohesive it all is. And informative. I hadn't heard of many of these creatures.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...