Saturday, March 19, 2011

Corinne Bailey Rae

Corinne Bailey Rae, pen, watercolor & acrylic on watercolor paper, 10 x 14", 2011.
I've decided to try to submit art to a new site.  Illustration Rally is a site that calls for illustrated work on a specific theme; if you submit to them, and they accept it, they post your stuff on their site.  This month is a portrait rally.  The first week was ideal dinner guests, the second was science fiction, and the last week is British music.

I drew for the British music week.  I wanted to portray someone who wasn't as obvious as any of the Beatles (although I love them).  Originally I thought about Lily Allen, but she looked completely different in every picture!  I really like Corinne Bailey Rae; her voice is so emotional and beautiful.

You may be wondering why there's coral and fish all over.  Her last album was called "The Sea", but, honestly, it has nothing to do with fish... I just wanted to draw them.  My plan in the beginning was to make the coral super detailed, but there's already too much going on here.

Hopefully you'll see this up on Illustration Rally too; cross your fingers for me!

Here's a close-up:


 PS:  Illustration Rally also has a great appeal and art sale going on for Japan.  You should take a look!

4 comments:

  1. this is really beautiful! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fish by her face makes me think of Delirium from the Sandman series. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    The fish were my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...